Hedman is a defenseman out of the ordinary. The tall and strong defenseman has a unique combination of size and speed. He accelerates very well and at full speed there are few, if any, defenseman of such stature that can match Hedman. Furthermore, he has very good hockey sense which contributes to him usually being at the right place at the right moment.
Hedman’s puck skills are above average and he is very good at moving the puck into the offensive end in high speed. He is also quite shifty and creative and can stickhandle through heavy traffic. Offensively, he has a good shot, including a heavy slapper that he could, however, use more frequently. His passing game is also of high caliber.
As for his defensive game, he does not really play very physical. He is an aggressive player with an edge to his game, but likes to solve tricky situations with his hockey sense and stick work, rather than playing the body. His reach is impressive and provides him with a natural advantage over his opponents. What really characterizes Hedman as a player, beside the obvious combination of size, skill and speed, is his attitude, winner’s instinct and the urge to be the best at what he does.
- 2011-11-30 • Signed to a five-year contract extension by the Tampa Bay Lightning
- 2009-07-09 • Signed to a three-year entry-level contract by the Tampa Bay Lightning
- 2007-05-02 • Signed to a two-year pro contract by MODO
Other memorable dates
- 2009-12-09 • Scored 1st career NHL goal (vs NY Islanders vs Dwayne Roloson)
- 2009-07-06 • Made NHL debut (at Atlanta; 1 assist, -2, 26:27 TOI)
- 2009-02-28 • Tied record for highest scoring U20 defenseman in one Elitserien season
- 2007-09-25 • Became 2nd youngest defenseman to play in an Elitserien game
- 2007-09-25 • Made Elitserien debut